Contrary to popular opinion Bermuda is not home to a large number of banks. There are only four banks in Bermuda; the HSBC Bermuda (formerly the Bank of Bermuda), Butterfield, the Bermuda Commercial Bank, and Capital G. All are locally owned, except the Bank of Bermuda, which was purchased by HSBC in 2004.
HSBC Bermuda and Butterfield Bank are by far the largest of the bunch, and offer a diverse range of services in addition to personal banking services. For example, both have divisions dealing with fund services, private banking and wealth management.
Given the size of these banks and sophistication of the products offered, both have numerous openings for suitably qualified individuals with relevant work experience.
Job opportunities for expatriates are most common in the following areas:
- Funds – Fund Accountants and Account Managers
- Trusts – Trust Officers, Accountants, and Administrators
- IT Staff – All disciplines
- Financial Controllers, Assistant Financial Controllers, Group Accountants
- Internal Audit – Audit Seniors and Managers
Typical requirements include an internationally recognised qualification and several years work experience in banking.