In 2010 the Veendam became the first regular cruise ship to visit Hamilton for several years. She returns again in 2012, offering cruises departing from New York and docking in Hamilton.
In the 2008 and 2009 seasons the big cruise lines dropped the capital as their regular port of call. They switched to Royal Naval Dockyard (Kings Wharf/Heritage Wharf) as today’s larger vessels are unable to navigate the narrow entrance to Hamilton Harbour.
Measuring only 719 feet, the Veendam is a premium cruise ship that can comfortably dock in Hamilton.
In early 2009 she received a massive upgrade under Holland America Line’s Signature of Excellence Programme. Upgrades included an entertainment space called Mix, new staterooms, the Showroom at Sea, and a new pool concept The Retreat.
All staterooms on the Veendam feature a flat screen TV, DVD player, and telephone.
Lanai Staterooms offer a private entrance straight onto the teak Lower Promenade Deck (Deck 6).
Spa Suites and Staterooms offer spa amenities including yoga mats, an iPod docking station, and counter-top water feature.
Holland America Line’s As You Wish Dining programme allows passengers to choose the dining option that suits them. For reservations in the main dining room, passengers can decide at the booking stage whether to pre-set seating or open seating.
- Canaletto – Elegant Italian restaurant on Deck 11. Next to the Lido. Waiter service.
- Explorations Café – Offers premium coffees and pastries. Located on Deck 8.
- Lido Restaurant – Casual buffet restaurant on Deck 11, near the swimming pool. Open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
- Pinnacle Grill – Intimate restaurant specialising in steaks and seafood. Reservations required and cover charge applies.
- Room Service – Available 24 hours a day.
- Rotterdam Dining Room – 2-level main dining room (Decks 7 & 8). Most tables have excellent window views. Striking red and gold décor.
- Slice – Upscale pizzeria at The Retreat.
Entertainment & Public Areas
- Crow’s Nest – Lounge on Deck 12. Offer 270 degree views. Becomes a nightclub in the evening.
- Explorer’s Lounge
- Mix – Features 3 separate bars; Champagne, Martini, and Spirits & Ales. Situated on Deck 8 next to the casino.
- Ocean Bar
- Showroom at Sea – 2-tier theatre on Decks 7 & 8. Offers entertainment and shows every night.
Spa & Fitness
- Basketball Court
- Fitness Centre
- Greenhouse Spa & Salon – Full-service spa and beauty salon.
- Retreat, The – Resort-style pool area on Deck 11. Amenities include large area with lounge chairs in shallow water, 2 hot tubs, the Slice pizzeria, and a pool bar.
- Tennis Court
- Art Gallery
- Culinary Arts Centre – offers gourmet cooking lessons
- Digital Workshop – offers classes in social networking, digital photography and moviemaking etc.
- Photo Lab
- Merabella – Luxury jewellery
- Shopping Arcade
- Shore Excursions
- Club Hal – Supervised facility for children aged 3 – 12.
- Loft and Oasis – Lounge and facilities for teens.