For some reason, contemporary art always seems more at home in historic buildings than modern ones. The Bermuda Arts Centre, situated within an old British Navy cooperage at the Royal Naval Dockyard, is no exception. Since 1984 the Centre has been a showcase for the work of Bermuda’s most innovative artists.
The main room sees a schedule of exhibitions that changes every 6 weeks. Each has a theme which could be a particular medium, technique or subject. The Bermuda Arts Centre also has four resident artists who can be seen at work on their latest creations. Chesley Trott (sculpture), Jonah Jones (oils), Christopher Marson (watercolours), and Christopher Grimes (oil paintings of old Bermuda) are all happy to take a break and talk to visitors about their work.
The Bermuda Arts Centre also hosts practical workshops and has a small shop selling prints and a variety of art-related gifts. Much of the work on show is for sale.
Admission to the gallery is free. It’s just a short walk from the cruise ship docks at Kings Wharf and Heritage Wharf. Opening hours between April and December are 10 am to 5 pm daily. From the beginning of January until the end of March the gallery is open from 11 am to 4 pm (closed on Mondays).
The Frog & Onion Pub is right next to the gallery if you want a drink or a something to eat. While in the area you can also visit the Bermuda Craft Market, Dockyard Glassworks, Clocktower Mall, and the Bermuda Clayworks.
Tourist attractions and things to do near Bermuda Arts Centre include:
- Bermuda Craft Market (0.0 miles) - Art and craft market at Dockyard
- Snorkel Park Beach (0.1 miles) - Beach at the Royal Naval Dockyard
- Dolphin Quest (0.1 miles) - Swim with dolphins
- National Museum of Bermuda (0.1 miles) - Explores the island's history
- Bermuda Fun Golf (0.1 miles) - Mini golf course at Royal Naval Dockyard
- Clocktower Mall (0.2 miles) - Shopping centre at Dockyard
Restaurants and places to eat and drink near Bermuda Arts Centre include:
- Frog and Onion Pub (0 miles) - Large pub at Royal Naval Dockyard. Founded by a Frenchman and a Bermudian (the Frog and the Onion). Housed in an old-barrel making building. Features a games room. Close to the Bermuda Arts Centre, Bermuda Craft Market, and the National Museum of Bermuda. Within easy walking distance of the cruise terminals.
- The Dockyard Pastry Shop (0.1 miles) - Cafe at Royal Naval Dockyard. Offers afternoon tea, light lunches, gourmet sandwiches, pastries, wine, beer, and cocktails. Dine indoors or on the terrace. Close to the cruise terminals.
- Bone Fish Bar and Grill (0.1 miles) - Bar and restaurant at Royal Naval Dockyard. Close to the cruise terminals. Live entertainment in the summer.
- Alex and Pete's Bermuda Artisan Ice Cream (0.1 miles) - Offers locally-made ice cream.
- Cafe Amici (0.2 miles) - Casual Italian restaurant in the Clocktower Mall at Royal Naval Dockyard. Indoor and outdoor seating areas.
- Anchor Restaurant, Bar, and Lounge (0.3 miles) - Casual restaurant near the entrance to Royal Naval Dockyard.
Nearby Transport Links
Transport links near Bermuda Arts Centre include:
- Dockyard Ferry (0.1 miles) - Ferry stop serving Royal Naval Dockyard.
Map showing location of Bermuda Arts Centre.
Click here for a detailed map showing all points of interest.
Bermuda Arts Centre
Royal Naval Dockyard