Appropriately located on Church Street, the Bermuda Cathedral is a neo-Gothic Anglican church designed by Scottish architect William Hay. Work began in 1886 and was completed in 1911. Much of the building is constructed from Bermuda limestone, although the decorative features are carved from Caen stone, imported from France.
Entrance to the cathedral is free, but for $3 and a bit of sweat, you can climb to the top of the impressive spire for an unequalled view of the city of Hamilton.
Tourist attractions and things to do near Bermuda Cathedral include:
- Sessions House (0.1 miles) - Bermuda's parliament
- Victoria Park (0.1 miles) - Hamilton park
- Bermuda National Gallery (0.1 miles) - Home of the national art collection
- City Hall and Arts Centre (0.1 miles) - Impressive building housing the offices of the Corporation of Hamilton
- Bermuda Society of Arts Gallery (0.1 miles) - Art gallery at City Hall
- Cabinet Building (0.1 miles) - Elegant 19th century building
- Cenotaph (0.2 miles) - War memorial
- Perot Post Office (0.2 miles) - The best place in Bermuda to send postcards
- Bermuda Historical Society Museum (0.2 miles) - Museum illustrating Bermuda's history
- Queen Elizabeth Park (0.3 miles) - Park in Hamilton
Restaurants and places to eat and drink near Bermuda Cathedral include:
- Devil's Isle (0.1 miles) - Busy cafe and bar in Hamilton. Hip and casual.
- Rock Island Coffee (0.1 miles) - Coffeeshop in Hamilton known for its delicious baked goods. Walls display works by local artists.
- Ruby Murrys (0.1 miles) - Indian restaurant just off Front Street. Reasonable prices.
- La Trattoria (0.1 miles) - Family-friendly Italian restaurant in the centre of Hamilton. Known for its pizzas; cooked in a wood-burning brick oven.
- Flanagan's (0.1 miles) - Irish pub located in a prime spot on Front Street in Hamilton. Veranda offers excellent views of Hamilton Harbour. Incorporates a separate sports bar.
- The Dog House (0.1 miles) - Popular bar on Front Street. Live music and Premier League/NFL games. Outdoor terrace.
- Hog Penny (0.1 miles) - British-style pub just off Front Street. Cosy wooden interior. Reputed to be the inspiration for the Cheers pub in Boston. Live music in the evenings.
- The Astwood Arms (0.1 miles) - British style pub on Hamilton’s main street. Friendly staff. Live music and NFL/Premier League games.
- Barracuda Grill (0.1 miles) - Seafood restaurant in Hamilton, just off Front Street. Specialises in seafood but also offers meat options. Located above the Hog Penny pub.
- Bolero Brasserie (0.1 miles) - Upscale brasserie on Hamilton’s main street. Chef owned. Offers a small balcony with view of Front Street and Hamilton Harbour.
- The Terrace on Front Street (0.2 miles) - Restaurant on Front Street. Outdoor terrace has fantastic views of Front Street and Hamilton Harbour. Formerly Red Steakhouse.
- The Pickled Onion (0.2 miles) - Bar and restaurant on Front Street, Hamilton. Veranda offers excellent view of Hamilton Harbour. Live music and DJs.
- Angelo's Bistro (0.2 miles) - Italian cafe in the Walker Arcade in Hamilton. Indoor or atrium seating. Italian food with a local twist.
- Docksider (0.2 miles) - Pub and restaurant at the eastern end of Front Street. Menu offers pub grub, burgers, sandwiches, and pizza. Popular watering hole. Live sports, DJs etc. Reasonably close to Fort Hamilton.
- Rosa's (0.2 miles) - Established Tex-Mex restaurant in Hamilton. Offers burgers, burritos, quesadillas, tacos, fajitas, steaks etc. Located above Docksider.
- Little Venice (0.3 miles) - Founded in 1971, the Little Venice is Bermuda’s oldest Italian restaurant.
- L'Oriental (0.3 miles) - Asian fusion restaurant in Hamilton’s business district. Best known for its sushi and teppanyaki. Situated above the Little Venice.
- Lobster Pot (0.3 miles) - Seafood restaurant established in 1973. Close to Queen Elizabeth Park.
- Portofino (0.3 miles) - Established Italian restaurant in Hamilton’s business district.
Nearby Transport Links
Transport links near Bermuda Cathedral include:
Map showing location of Bermuda Cathedral.
Click here for a detailed map showing all points of interest.