The Cenotaph is a monument to honour Bermuda’s war dead. Built in 1920 from limestone it’s a replica of the one in Whitehall, London. On November 11, a public holiday in Bermuda, a Remembrance Day Parade finishes here and honours those who gave their lives defending the freedom of others. The event usually draws a large crowd and is attended by the Governor, the Premier and other notable officials.
Tourist attractions and things to do near Cenotaph include:
- Cabinet Building (0.0 miles) - Elegant 19th century building
- Sessions House (0.1 miles) - Bermuda's parliament
- Bermuda Cathedral (0.2 miles) - Offers great views of Hamilton
Restaurants and places to eat and drink near Cenotaph include:
- Bolero Brasserie (0 miles) - Upscale brasserie on Hamilton’s main street. Chef owned. Offers a small balcony with view of Front Street and Hamilton Harbour.
- The Dog House (0.1 miles) - Popular bar on Front Street. Live music and Premier League/NFL games. Outdoor terrace.
- Docksider (0.1 miles) - Pub and restaurant at the eastern end of Front Street. Menu offers pub grub, burgers, sandwiches, and pizza. Popular watering hole. Live sports, DJs etc. Reasonably close to Fort Hamilton.
- Rosa's (0.1 miles) - Established Tex-Mex restaurant in Hamilton. Offers burgers, burritos, quesadillas, tacos, fajitas, steaks etc. Located above Docksider.
- Rock Island Coffee (0.1 miles) - Coffeeshop in Hamilton known for its delicious baked goods. Walls display works by local artists.
- Ruby Murrys (0.1 miles) - Indian restaurant just off Front Street. Reasonable prices.
- The Astwood Arms (0.1 miles) - British style pub on Hamilton’s main street. Friendly staff. Live music and NFL/Premier League games.
- Flanagan's (0.1 miles) - Irish pub located in a prime spot on Front Street in Hamilton. Veranda offers excellent views of Hamilton Harbour. Incorporates a separate sports bar.
- Barracuda Grill (0.2 miles) - Seafood restaurant in Hamilton, just off Front Street. Specialises in seafood but also offers meat options. Located above the Hog Penny pub.
- Hog Penny (0.2 miles) - British-style pub just off Front Street. Cosy wooden interior. Reputed to be the inspiration for the Cheers pub in Boston. Live music in the evenings.
- Devil's Isle (0.2 miles) - Busy cafe and bar in Hamilton. Hip and casual.
- The Terrace on Front Street (0.2 miles) - Restaurant on Front Street. Outdoor terrace has fantastic views of Front Street and Hamilton Harbour. Formerly Red Steakhouse.
- The Pickled Onion (0.2 miles) - Bar and restaurant on Front Street, Hamilton. Veranda offers excellent view of Hamilton Harbour. Live music and DJs.
Map showing location of Cenotaph.
Click here for a detailed map showing all points of interest.