This large, whitewashed building on Church Street houses the offices of the Corporation of Hamilton. Designed by Bermudian architect Wilfred Onions and opened in 1960 it’s an attractive building, bearing no resemblance to the architectural monstrosities that sprung up in other parts of the world during this decade. A 91 foot tower is topped by a weathervane depicting Sir George Somers’ shipwrecked Sea Venture. Fountains outside the building showcase lifelike sculptures of children by the appropriately named Bermudian artist Desmond Fountain.
The building’s foyer houses an extensive stamp collection donated by Colin Benbow; a local historian, newspaper columnist and curator of the Bermuda Historical Society Museum. The foyer’s walls are adorned with portraits of mayors and a painting of Queen Elizabeth II. To the left of the foyer the City Hall Theatre hosts performances by local and international performers. A magnificent cedar staircase leads to the second floor and the Bermuda National Gallery and the Bermuda Society of Arts Gallery.
Tourist attractions and things to do near City Hall and Arts Centre include:
- Bermuda Society of Arts Gallery (0.0 miles) - Art gallery at City Hall
- Victoria Park (0.1 miles) - Hamilton park
- Bermuda Cathedral (0.1 miles) - Offers great views of Hamilton
- Bermuda Historical Society Museum (0.1 miles) - Museum illustrating Bermuda's history
- Perot Post Office (0.1 miles) - The best place in Bermuda to send postcards
- Queen Elizabeth Park (0.2 miles) - Park in Hamilton
- Sessions House (0.2 miles) - Bermuda's parliament
- Cabinet Building (0.2 miles) - Elegant 19th century building
- Cenotaph (0.3 miles) - War memorial
- Albuoy’s Point and Point Pleasant Park (0.3 miles) - Small dock and park in Hamilton
- Barr’s Bay Park (0.3 miles) - Waterfront park in Hamilton
Restaurants and places to eat and drink near City Hall and Arts Centre include:
- La Trattoria (0.1 miles) - Family-friendly Italian restaurant in the centre of Hamilton. Known for its pizzas; cooked in a wood-burning brick oven.
- Devil's Isle (0.1 miles) - Busy cafe and bar in Hamilton. Hip and casual.
- Angelo's Bistro (0.1 miles) - Italian cafe in the Walker Arcade in Hamilton. Indoor or atrium seating. Italian food with a local twist.
- Hog Penny (0.1 miles) - British-style pub just off Front Street. Cosy wooden interior. Reputed to be the inspiration for the Cheers pub in Boston. Live music in the evenings.
- Barracuda Grill (0.1 miles) - Seafood restaurant in Hamilton, just off Front Street. Specialises in seafood but also offers meat options. Located above the Hog Penny pub.
- The Pickled Onion (0.1 miles) - Bar and restaurant on Front Street, Hamilton. Veranda offers excellent view of Hamilton Harbour. Live music and DJs.
- The Terrace on Front Street (0.1 miles) - Restaurant on Front Street. Outdoor terrace has fantastic views of Front Street and Hamilton Harbour. Formerly Red Steakhouse.
- Flanagan's (0.2 miles) - Irish pub located in a prime spot on Front Street in Hamilton. Veranda offers excellent views of Hamilton Harbour. Incorporates a separate sports bar.
- Rock Island Coffee (0.2 miles) - Coffeeshop in Hamilton known for its delicious baked goods. Walls display works by local artists.
- Ruby Murrys (0.2 miles) - Indian restaurant just off Front Street. Reasonable prices.
- Lobster Pot (0.2 miles) - Seafood restaurant established in 1973. Close to Queen Elizabeth Park.
- The Astwood Arms (0.2 miles) - British style pub on Hamilton’s main street. Friendly staff. Live music and NFL/Premier League games.
- Little Venice (0.2 miles) - Founded in 1971, the Little Venice is Bermuda’s oldest Italian restaurant.
- L'Oriental (0.2 miles) - Asian fusion restaurant in Hamilton’s business district. Best known for its sushi and teppanyaki. Situated above the Little Venice.
- The Dog House (0.2 miles) - Popular bar on Front Street. Live music and Premier League/NFL games. Outdoor terrace.
- Portofino (0.2 miles) - Established Italian restaurant in Hamilton’s business district.
- Mad Hatters (0.2 miles) - Innovative restaurant offering an eclectic menu. Restaurant is loosely theme around Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. Diners can don one of their wacky hats for the night. Located in Pembroke, near the Robin Hood pub, and just a short walk from Hamilton.
- Bolero Brasserie (0.2 miles) - Upscale brasserie on Hamilton’s main street. Chef owned. Offers a small balcony with view of Front Street and Hamilton Harbour.
- Robin Hood Pub and Restaurant (0.3 miles) - Popular pub on the outskirts of Hamilton. Shows Premier League games.
Nearby Transport Links
Transport links near City Hall and Arts Centre include:
Map showing location of City Hall and Arts Centre.
Click here for a detailed map showing all points of interest.
City Hall and Arts Centre