If he was anywhere else in the world the men in white coats would lock him up and throw away the key. But this is Bermuda, and each weekday morning from 05:00 to 10:00, retired bus driver Johnny Barnes stands in the middle of Crow Lane roundabout and says a cheery ‘Good Morning!’ to Bermuda’s commuters.
Rain or shine he’s always there with his radio, backpack and straw hat; providing a glimmer of hope that work won’t be as bad as it normally is.
In recognition of this, many Bermudians clubbed together and commissioned local sculptor Desmond Fountain to create a bronze statue of Johnny that now stands near the Bermuda Underwater Exploration Institute.
Johnny Barnes is quite simply the most popular and friendliest man in Bermuda. He loves to chat with visitors and pose for photographs. Go visit him and feel the love.
Tourist attractions and things to do near Johnny Barnes include:
- Waterville (0.1 miles) - National Trust headquarters
- Bermuda Underwater Exploration Institute (0.2 miles) - The BUEI's purpose is to enhance our understanding of the mysteries of the ocean
- Arboretum (0.3 miles) - Park with collection of trees and shrubs from around the world
- Masterworks Museum of Bermuda Art (0.4 miles) - Art gallery of the Masterworks Foundation
- Camden (0.4 miles) - Official residence of Bermuda's Premier
- Fort Hamilton (0.5 miles) - Offers spectacular views of Hamilton
- Bermuda Botanical Gardens (0.5 miles) - 36 acres of trees, shrubs and flowers
- Paget Marsh Nature Reserve (0.6 miles) - Nature reserve
- Cenotaph (0.7 miles) - War memorial
- Cabinet Building (0.7 miles) - Elegant 19th century building
- Sessions House (0.7 miles) - Bermuda's parliament
- Bermuda Cathedral (0.8 miles) - Offers great views of Hamilton
- Victoria Park (0.9 miles) - Hamilton park
- Bermuda National Gallery (0.9 miles) - Home of the national art collection
- City Hall and Arts Centre (0.9 miles) - Impressive building housing the offices of the Corporation of Hamilton
- Bermuda Society of Arts Gallery (0.9 miles) - Art gallery at City Hall
- Perot Post Office (1.0 miles) - The best place in Bermuda to send postcards
- Bermuda Historical Society Museum (1.0 miles) - Museum illustrating Bermuda's history
Restaurants and places to eat and drink near Johnny Barnes include:
- Harbourfront Restaurant (0.2 miles) - Restaurant at the Bermuda Underwater Exploration Institute. Offers a sushi and tempura bar. Stunning views of Hamilton Harbour.
- Rosa's (0.6 miles) - Established Tex-Mex restaurant in Hamilton. Offers burgers, burritos, quesadillas, tacos, fajitas, steaks etc. Located above Docksider.
- Docksider (0.6 miles) - Pub and restaurant at the eastern end of Front Street. Menu offers pub grub, burgers, sandwiches, and pizza. Popular watering hole. Live sports, DJs etc. Reasonably close to Fort Hamilton.
- Ice Queen (0.7 miles) - Takeaway in Paget Parish. Offers burgers, chicken wings and nuggets, fries etc. Open late.
- Bolero Brasserie (0.7 miles) - Upscale brasserie on Hamilton’s main street. Chef owned. Offers a small balcony with view of Front Street and Hamilton Harbour.
- The Dog House (0.8 miles) - Popular bar on Front Street. Live music and Premier League/NFL games. Outdoor terrace.
- Rock Island Coffee (0.8 miles) - Coffeeshop in Hamilton known for its delicious baked goods. Walls display works by local artists.
- House of India (0.8 miles) - Indian restaurant at the northern end of Hamilton. Specialises in Tandoor-cooked dishes. Takeaway service available.
- Ruby Murrys (0.8 miles) - Indian restaurant just off Front Street. Reasonable prices.
- The Astwood Arms (0.8 miles) - British style pub on Hamilton’s main street. Friendly staff. Live music and NFL/Premier League games.
- Flanagan's (0.8 miles) - Irish pub located in a prime spot on Front Street in Hamilton. Veranda offers excellent views of Hamilton Harbour. Incorporates a separate sports bar.
- Barracuda Grill (0.8 miles) - Seafood restaurant in Hamilton, just off Front Street. Specialises in seafood but also offers meat options. Located above the Hog Penny pub.
- Hog Penny (0.9 miles) - British-style pub just off Front Street. Cosy wooden interior. Reputed to be the inspiration for the Cheers pub in Boston. Live music in the evenings.
- Devil's Isle (0.9 miles) - Busy cafe and bar in Hamilton. Hip and casual.
- The Terrace on Front Street (0.9 miles) - Restaurant on Front Street. Outdoor terrace has fantastic views of Front Street and Hamilton Harbour. Formerly Red Steakhouse.
- The Pickled Onion (0.9 miles) - Bar and restaurant on Front Street, Hamilton. Veranda offers excellent view of Hamilton Harbour. Live music and DJs.
- Angelo's Bistro (0.9 miles) - Italian cafe in the Walker Arcade in Hamilton. Indoor or atrium seating. Italian food with a local twist.
- La Trattoria (0.9 miles) - Family-friendly Italian restaurant in the centre of Hamilton. Known for its pizzas; cooked in a wood-burning brick oven.
- Art Mel's Spicy Dicy (0.9 miles) - Takeaway renowned for its fish sandwiches. Located a fair distance from the centre of Hamilton.
Nearby Transport Links
Transport links near Johnny Barnes include:
Map showing location of Johnny Barnes.
Click here for a detailed map showing all points of interest.