Constructed prior to 1700 by reformed pirate and slave trader George Dew, the Old Rectory is one of the oldest buildings in St George. It was subsequently the home of Pastor Alexander Richardson, hence the name.
The cottage is a typical example of early Bermudian vernacular architecture. Built with limestone, the upper living level rests above a lower basement and is reached by an outside staircase. The gable ends are supported by large chimneys and the windows sit squarely against the eaves.
The Old Rectory is owned by the Bermuda National Trust and is now leased as a private residence.
The house is situated in the centre of St George. To reach it from Kings Square, walk north to York Street and turn left. Pass St Peter’s Church and then turn right onto Queen Street. Walk up Queen Street, past the Bermuda Perfumery, and then turn right into Broad Alley.
While you’re in the area take some time to wander around streets in the vicinity of the Old Rectory. St George is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and one of the oldest British settlements in the Western Hemisphere. Old Maid’s Lane, Taylor’s Alley, Aunt Peggy’s Lane, Printer’s Alley, Featherbed Alley and others are lined with historic houses and interesting buildings.