Palm Grove Gardens is actually a private property but its owner, Sir David Gibbons, graciously opens it for members of the public to enjoy. Sir David is a former Premier and a member of the prominent Gibbons family, owners of the companies such as Capital G and the Gibbons Company department store.
As its name suggests the large garden is home to a variety of palms. Throughout the grounds you will see endemic Bermuda palmettos and invasive species such as European fan, Fiji and Cuban royal palms. You will also see a delightful wishing well, a romantic moongate and an aviary housing parrots and toucans. The garden however, is most noted for its unique pond which features a grassy relief of Bermuda at its centre.
You can also wander down to the rocky shoreline. To your right there’s the Ariel Sands hotel (now closed). Look out to the ocean and you’ll see a sculpture of Ariel rising out of the wave. It was created by American artist Seward Johnson, a cousin of actor Michael Douglas, one of the hotel’s owners.
Palm Grove Gardens is open to the public Monday to Thursday only, from 9 am to 5 pm. There is no admission fee. Please bear in mind while visiting that the house is a private family home.
Palm Grove Garden is located on the South Road in Devonshire Parish. From Hamilton it is the next turning on the right after the entrance to the Ariel Sands hotel. Bus number 1 runs between Hamilton and St George, and stops outside the property.
Tourist attractions and things to do near Palm Grove Gardens include:
- Devonshire Bay Park (0.2 miles) - Small park and beach.
- Verdmont Museum (0.8 miles) - Bermuda National Trust property
- Bermuda Botanical Gardens (0.9 miles) - 36 acres of trees, shrubs and flowers
- Camden (0.9 miles) - Official residence of Bermuda's Premier
- Masterworks Museum of Bermuda Art (0.9 miles) - Art gallery of the Masterworks Foundation
Restaurants and places to eat and drink near Palm Grove Gardens include:
- Specialty Inn (0.5 miles) - Family-style diner offering breakfast, pizza, sandwiches, burgers, pasta, sushi etc. Close to the Verdmont Museum and Spittal Pond.
Map showing location of Palm Grove Gardens.
Click here for a detailed map showing all points of interest.
Palm Grove Gardens